4 months ago
Alternatives is delighted to be supporting Trócaire on recruitment of a permanent Head of Communications position.
Trócaire is the overseas development agency of the Catholic church in Ireland and is one of Ireland’s leading charities, having almost 50 years’ experience in international development and humanitarianism..
They work in partnership with local organisations in developing countries, and with people in Ireland, to tackle the root causes of poverty and injustice. Together, they create positive and lasting change.
This is an exciting time in the history of the organisation as they embark on their new strategic plan 2021-2025. This plan sets out their ambition for courageous and impactful work with local partners and communities in 25 countries worldwide and underscores our commitment to localisation.
The purpose of the Communications team is to create and drive an ambitious, innovative and integrated communications strategy. As a mission-led organisation, everything they do has a strong communications dimension to it with a view to influencing, inspiring and impacting on others to work together for a just and peaceful world.
The successful candidate will have specific responsibility for leading the communications team and its programme of work in order to tackle the root causes of poverty and injustice, and to drive Trócaire’s reputation and relevance in an ever-changing Irish society.
A key priority will be to establish a comprehensive PR and Media Communications Strategy, and to roll this out with the buy-in of key stakeholders. This will be vital in moving the organisation’s communications forward in a meaningful and coherent way. The brand reputation aspect of the role is fulfilled in collaboration with colleagues across Fundraising and Marketing.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to the Director of Public Engagement, this is a permanent contract with its primary location in Maynooth, but with flexibility for some remote working. The incumbent will manage a team of six professionals.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding people within our programmes from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. .
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsibility for developing a dynamic PR and Media Communications Strategy for the organisation, including setting ambitious milestones and targets. Collaboration with key stakeholders will be integral to the success of the process.
- Working with the Head of Campaign Marketing to champion and advocate the reputation and brand, supporting and motivating teams across the organisation to adopt a consistent tone of voice and messaging.
- Working with Policy and Advocacy and Outreach teams to deliver effective, impactful and targeted communications to all of our Public Engagement audiences.
- Working with International teams in our country offices, to put in place dynamic content gathering processes, including evolving digital approaches, and support with communications materials overseas to key stakeholders and donors.
- In the event of a crisis-situation in Ireland or overseas, support the Executive Leadership Team in managing the organisation’s communications response.
- Ensure that Trócaire is at the leading edge in the use of digital platforms and other trends within the field of communications and public relations.
- Lead, motivate and manage an innovative, driven and dynamic communications team.
- Provide strategic support to the CEO and Executive Leadership Team to ensure they are fully briefed and informed, when performing any media-related activities.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
- Third level qualification or equivalent professional experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience at senior management level in a communications role.
- Experience of leading teams.
- Significant experience of working with journalists and the media.
- Experience of managing organisational effective and impactful campaigns.
- Experience of developing PR and Media Communications strategies, both for specific campaigns and for organisations.
- Accomplished in management of budgets.
- Experience in delivering results against quantitative and qualitative goals and targets.
- Proven ability to communicate complex messages in an accessible manner to diverse audiences.
- Strategic focus, thinking ahead and response to external trends.
- Effective in establishing and motivating a high-performance team.
- Proven commitment to collaboration across multiple teams, and influencing through constructive dialogue.
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal, and has an ability to condense complex issues into clear and concise messages.
- Takes responsibility for delivering high-quality results.
- Ensures a collaborative approach to decision making.
- Ensures highest standards of integrity in use of financial and human resources.
- Holds strong internal and external relationships through high-level inter-personal skills.
- Skilled listener and effective communicator with awareness and sensitivity to audience.
- An approach to work based on integrity; values-driven; agility and openness to change.
- Driven, proactive and solution-oriented in outlook.
- Innovative and creative.
- Understanding of and commitment to the ethos, values and mission of Trocaire
Person Specification – Desirable
- Digital Communications
- Working in the NGO/voluntary sector.
- Knowledge of development, human rights or not-for-profit sector.
- Coaching approach to team management
Contact Lauren Fahy on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01 582 4483 for a confidential discussion.
Alternatives Group - We provide a diverse range of opportunities- permanent, contract and consulting - for the best marketing | digital | data | customer centric talent.