almost 3 years ago
Brief from Brendan Smartt: Allegro (distribution business)
Interim Head of Sales
Managing sales team of approx. 26:
4 Direct reports - A Manager each responsible for different account/channels: Musgraves etc., Dunnes & Tesco, Pharmacy & Field Sales
4 office based admin staff + 18 field sales
Background Allegro is a distribution & sales and marketing business (key principles include Nivea-Beiersdorf, Colgate, Glanbia, to name but a few). They operate across grocery (FMCG), Pharmacy and Electrical. Parent Company Total Produce and in the process of acquiring Whole Foods in West Park.
They have been loss making and Brendan Smartt joined the business a year ago to turn it around. He is leading a transformation process which involves significant structural change (reducing admin staff, boosting sales team, getting rid of dead wood, cutting fat) and bringing in new systems etc. and closing down loss making garden business. He has just let 20 people go, but have also hired some good new people.
Brendan expects the business to be back in profit this year hopefully by the end of Q1. The current sales team has potential but they need development as they haven’t been developed in years. However good vibe as the business is headed towards profitability.
The brief The current Sales Director is exiting (confidential) and he is looking for an interim Head of Sales for 9-12 months to lead the transformation and keep business going in the meantime. There is also likely to be an integration project later in the year if the acquisition of Whole Foods is completed.
- Lead the transformation project from a sales division perspective
- Keep the show on the road
- Complete the appointment of a new Head of Sales (this may be an internal candidate or could be the interim Head of Sales if he/she is interested or an external)
- FMCG/ Grocery experience essential
- Significant experience of transformation projects essential
- Have been at the level of Head of Sales/Commercial
- Salary: will be guided by who’s available
Follow up with Donal O’Connor (HR Director – ex Unilever) to get full job description and agree terms. He is talking to one or two other agencies. Sorcha to call Donal today.