almost 6 years ago
Customer Insight and Planning Director
Betfair is the world’s biggest betting community having pioneered the betting exchange in 2000.
Driven by cutting-edge technology, Betfair enables customers to bet at odds sought by themselves or offered by other customers. The company now processes over seven million transactions a day from its four million registered customers around the world. In addition to sports betting, Betfair offers a portfolio of innovative products including casino, exchange games, a new sportsbook and poker.
Betfair has twice been named the UK’s ‘Company of the Year’ by the Confederation of British Industry and has won two prestigious Queen’s Awards for Enterprise, being recognised for Innovation in 2003 and for International Trade in 2008.
Role Summary - Betfair is a business in transition
The Brand team is helping to shape this change. We will own and evangelise the principle of putting the customer at the heart of everything we do, and we will develop and execute world class strategies and execution to achieve this. To achieve this we have created the exciting new leadership role within the Brand Team – Customer Insight Director.
Reporting directly to our Brand Director you will
1. Set a world class Customer Insight agenda for Betfair, and then improve on it
2. Develop insight strategies and programmes that will unlock growth opportunities around the world
3. Support strategic business and commercial decisions for Betfair on a global basis
4. Lead Brand Reporting up to the Executive and across the business
Notably, you have the experience to pioneer change and break through “old thinking” with the expertise to get it right first time with little direct involvement from your line manager
o First and last, the Customer Insight Director will live and breath digital
· Strategy and Execution
o Rigorously and critically analyse the current Customer Insight strategy at Betfair
o Segment customers by usage and attitude, by value and occasions, across each vertical, and develop insight driven strategies for those customers
o Develop, evolve and execute flawlessly Customer Insight driven strategies for Betfair that will beat the competition
o Motivated to make a difference and moves urgently to action with a focus on outputs
o As part of the Brand Leadership team, evangelise the brand proposition and drive engagement throughout the entire organisation and key external stakeholders
o Right hand of the Brand Director - partner the director in big strategic initiatives and deliverables
o Independent, self-reliant, with own ideas and opinions, but pays genuine attention to the ideas and inputs of others. Works interdependently across the business
o Capability builder for brand team and marketing across the 3 verticals
o Lead and inspire internal teams and external agencies to develop thinking on breakthrough innovation projects driven by customer insight
o Lead, manage and motivate the Customer Insight team
o Build Hi-Value relationships
o Is an integral part of achieving the acquisition, revenue and profit targets for Betfair Internationally
o Needs to optimise the research budget allocated to ensure the least amount of most powerful research
o Will pioneer A&P effectiveness in the Brand Team by tracking, evaluating and critiquing the performance of the brand.
· Support the Customer Insight strategy for Betfair verticals
o Work hand in hand with the 3 verticals of Exchange, Sportsbook and Gaming to support the development of their customer-driven strategy and support 100% on strategy execution of all customer facing activity
o Lead the design, development and deployment of effective and innovative data analytical tools
Essential Skills & Experience
· 10+ years’ experience and demonstrable, continuous career development.
· Unrivalled understanding of what drives behaviour, and the research techniques to measure
· Broader economic and business understanding to interpret impact on Betfair of our communications, experiences and products
- Ability to work independently in developing and executing complex research programmes to world class standards.
- Financially astute and numerate with the ability to present complex ideas and data in ways which are clear and easy to understand
- Excellent judgment – shows high level of emotional intelligence in dealing with, influencing and managing complex projects across multiple stakeholders, up to and including board level
· Expertise in On and off line brand building
· Able to provide clear recommendations on the direction the business should take based on strong understanding of business issues, consumer trends and the competitive environment
· Organisational understanding; politics, influencing stockholders, matrix management, etc.
- Expert communicator – flexible, credible, engaging (can bring people with them)
- Academic excellence
· Emotional Energy & Drive – Someone who can infect others with their energy and enthusiasm, who inspires other to perform to the highest standards
· High Influencing skills – Someone who through confidence and judgement can bring disparate teams together to work effectively and collaboratively towards a common goal
· “Edge” - Someone who is comfortable making difficult / tough decisions and act on them in a timely manner
· Relentless Curiosity – Someone who seeks and uses knowledge as a habit and part of their everyday life to continuously be ahead of the curve
· Drive for winning – Someone who is passionate to beat the competition, where losing market share is not an option